Tranexamic acid is a medication used to treat or prevent excessive blood loss from major trauma, postpartum bleeding, surgery, tooth removal, nosebleeds, and heavy menstruation. It is also used for hereditary angioedema. It is taken either orally or by injection into a vein. Side effects are rare.
- abnormally long or heavy periods.
- bleeding prevention in hemophilia.
- bleeding due to breakdown of fibrin needed for clotting.
- inherited disorder of continuing episodes of swelling.
- bleeding after a surgical operation.