- Neem: Neem is a bitter tasting herb with its antibacterial, antiseptic and astringent properties. This herb acts on the circulatory, respiratory, digestive and urinary systems. Being an antibacterial & antifungal herb, it helps in suppressing the bacterial and yeast infections in the vagina. We can take it in the form of a concoction or oil as per the advice of your ayurvedic doctor.
- Manjistha: Manjistha is known for its antitumor properties and it is also an astringent. It mainly helps with problems related to the circulatory & reproductive systems. It’s known for its blood-purifying properties and helps in controlling bleeding. You can take Manjistha in the form of a powder, paste, or a decoction.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is part of the cacti family and it is very useful. The anti-fungal, anti-microbial and antiseptic properties can help curb the overgrowth of any infection-causing fungi or bacteria. Apply a thin layer of freshly extracted aloe vera gel over the affected area and let dry naturally. Wash with warm water and wipe dry. Use under doctors’ guidance.
- Brahmi (water hyssop): Brahmi is best known as a rejuvenating herb. Brahmi improves immunity and is also known for its antibacterial, antimicrobial properties. It can be taken in the form of oil, concoction and infusion as per doctors advise.
- Yashti Madhu (mulethi): Yashti Madhu is known for its rejuvenating, sedating, and tonic properties. It acts on the digestive, respiratory and reproductive system. This herb helps remove kaph from stomach & lungs. It also helps in treating vaginal infections like candidiasis. It can be taken with milk or decoction or with ghee as per your doctor’s advice.
- Turmeric: A very common root, turmeric is known for its anti-bacterial properties. The enzyme curcumin present in it acts as an antifungal and helps eradicate yeast infections. Even curcumin extracts have been known to be used in modern medicine.
There are many foods & herbs that support vaginal health but the most important is to maintain good hygiene habits along with the right lifestyle.