Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) is a medicinal plant that has been used for centuries. While marshmallows aren’t made from the marshmallow plant, the plant’s root and leaves have been used in herbal medicine for generations. Here are some of the believed health benefits of marshmallow:
- Respiratory System Soothing Effects: Marshmallow root is well-known for its expectorant and soothing characteristics. Coughs, sore throats, and respiratory disorders such as bronchitis may benefit from it. It provides a protective coating in the throat, relieving discomfort and decreasing coughing.
- Gastrointestinal Support: Marshmallow root contains mucilage, a sticky material that when mixed with water becomes gelatinous. This mucilage can calm and protect the digestive system lining, potentially offering treatment from illnesses such as gastritis, ulcers, and heartburn.
- Anti-Inflammatory Qualities: Mucilage found in marshmallow root may have anti-inflammatory activities. It may be effective for illnesses such as arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease since it can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Skin Health: Because of their calming and moisturizing characteristics, marshmallow root extracts are widely featured in skincare products. They have the ability to soothe sensitive skin, reduce redness, and promote healing.
- Metabolism: Marshmallow root has diuretic properties, which means it might increase urine production. This impact could be beneficial in terms of urinary tract health and infection relief.
- Antioxidant Activity: Marshmallow root contains antioxidants that help protect the body from free radical damage. Antioxidants are essential for lowering the risk of chronic diseases and improving general health.
It is important to note that marshmallow root is generally considered safe although few people reported that it can interact with certain medications and may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. At Fowa Naturals, we sell high quality Marshmallow leaf and root with their powder. You can shop by clicking this link