The cosmetic industry is full of “miracle” skincare products that promise to solve any and all skin problems. However, many of these products, despite their claims, can actually be quite counter-productive. Many even contain a variety of known toxic ingredients. Fortunately, nature has provided us with healthy, non-toxic alternatives to these harmful, synthetic products for centuries. Looking at the wisdom and science of Ancient Indian Medicine, known as Ayurveda, we discover a handful of powerful, beautifying herbal powerhouses.
These particular herbs provide science-backed physiological effects that can protect our skin from disease while promoting youthful and natural skin radiance. Here are our top 4 Ayurvedic herbs for beautiful skin.
1. Sandal/Chandal (Sandal Wood)
The sandal is one of the most important herbs of Ayurveda and it is used in many Ayurveda herbal products. The sandal is used in brightening products for ages. It has a cooling effect on the body when applied externally. It also provides relief from sunburn or overexposure to the sun.
Sandal powder can be made in the form of a lotion, paste, and soap for skin cleansing and hydrating.
Benefits of Sandalwood
- Treat acne, removes pimples, and cleanse the skin
- Works as a moisturizer and removes dry spots
- Improves complexion by detoxifying and cleansing skin
2. Aloe Vera (Ghrit Kumari)
Aloe Vera is one of the most used Ayurveda herbs in beauty products. It has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and Cooling Properties that promote the healing of the skin.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
- Prevents skin from drying
- Moisturizes the skin
- Treats pigmentation
- Helps in fair complexion
- Removes sunburns from the skin
- Helps in combatting acne, eczema, blackheads, and other related skin problems
3. Neem Leaves
Neem leaves are widely used in both Ayurveda and conventional medicine production due to their Anti-Oxidizing Properties. Neem leaves are jam-packed with essential oils that close the pores of the skin and make the skin tighter and reduce unevenness.
Benefits of Neem Leaves
- Neem leaves have Antimicrobial properties that help in treating acne
- Helps to remove impurities from the skin and tighten skin pores
- Soothes dry skin and eczema
- Removes wrinkles and premature aging signs
- Reduces dark circles beneath the eye.
4. Saffron (Kesar)
Saffron is the most costly herb of them all and is the most effective skin brightening agent. Due to its heavy cost, it is not commonly used in herbal products but that does not change the fact that it is highly effective for skin care and treatment.
Saffron are stigmas of saffron flowers, which are handpicked, as they are very delicate. Though it is mostly harvested to be used as a spice or to add flavor to the tea, it is also a beneficial herb for herbal supplements.
Benefits of Saffron
- Brighten ups the skin
- Removes blackheads and pimples and restores skin decolorization.
- One of the most effective skin-brightening agents as compared to other herbs on the list
5. Turmeric (Haldi)
Turmeric is undoubtedly one of the most used in Ayurveda for its Blood Purification Properties. When applied to the skin, it increases the natural glow and radiance of the skin.
Turmeric has anti-aging and anti-bacterial properties, which is why it is used in the treatment of many skin issues
Benefits of Turmeric
- Brightens skin
- Treats blemishes and acne
- Smoothens skin and reduces unevenness
- Anti-aging properties of turmeric help in reducing wrinkles